Colourless, odourless, tasteless, crystal clear, refreshing, invigorating, reviving, cool, comforting, Yeah, go on…. define WATER.
The skin is made of several cells. Skin cells like any other organ cells require water to function properly. The skin is in love with water (literally), so indulge it.
Some of the benefits of water to the skin include:
1. Maintainance of the optimum skin moisture and delivery of essential nutrients to the skin cells. It replenishes the skin tissue and increases its elasticity. This helps to delay the appearance of signs of ageing like wrinkles and fine lines. (Besides, who wants to look old?)
2. Water is a perfect replacement for your expensive anti-ageing treatments (Aren’t they always bank-breaking?). It keeps the skin well hydrated and glistening, thereby, enhancing the complexion.For soft and supple skin, drinking an adequate amount of water is more important than applying topical creams.
3. Drinking enough water combats skin disorders like psoriasis, wrinkles and eczema. It also increases the metabolic rate and improves digestive system to flush out toxins from the body which in turn gives you a healthy and glowing skin.
4. A nice cold shower and a relaxing bath calm the nerves and reduce the stress related damage to the skin. Soak your entire body in cold water for 2 to 3 minutes to rejuvenate the skin. Long exposure of the skin to water can strip off the natural oils, so don’t stretch your bathing or shower duration.
5. Cold water bath eliminates redness of the skin and sets the skin for better makeup application. After opening the pores by washing them with warm water, you can seal them by splashing with cold water. Cold water tightens the pores and prevents them from getting clogged. It reduces the appearance of acne.
6. A cold water compress can also help to reduce under-eye inflammation. As the water evaporates from the skin, the surface becomes cooler. Splashing cold water on the eyes can also reduce eye puffiness. There are plenty of water-rich eye gels which you can use for a long-term solution.
7. People visit bathhouses to detoxify and tighten the skin in earlier years. The process involves a steam-room session, followed by a cool water plunge to tighten the skin.
Drinking water in the morning is simple to put into practice, and virtually free! However, there are some important rules to remember. The basic rule recommended by experts is as follows:
1. Immediately upon waking in the morning, drink 1.50 liters of water, which is equivalent to 5-6 glasses of water.
2. Do not eat or drink anything else for 1 hour prior to and after drinking the water.
3. Do not consume any alcoholic beverages the night before.
4. Reduce instances of drinking water while standing because it causes hemorrhoids. Sit while drinking.
5. Do not drink cold water since it can disturb your digestive system. Drink slightly hot water since this can dissolve solid wastes and sloughs it away.
6. Avoid tap water and mineral water containing harmful molecules. Drink clean water only.
7. You can add lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to the water and drink it instead since these can alkalize your body helping in detoxification.
8. Do not drink all the water at a time in a single gulp but do it calmly and slowly.
9. Do not put off drinking water when you are thirsty.
After all is said and done, do not forget to carry a bottle of clean drinking water with you anywhere. You don’t know when you might need to be refreshed.
Drink, for water is life!